felix-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Making sense of service binding and dependencies
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2009 22:20:06 GMT
On Feb 4, 2009, at 23:09 , Trejkaz wrote:

> I'll have my little complaint though.  Fluent doesn't just mean it's
> Java, it means when you read it out loud it almost sounds like
> English.  As such you'll notice that fluent APIs don't tend to use the
> word "set" in the method names.

Agreed, the names are not consistent with a fluent API, only the
method chaining part is. I'm a bit hesitant to change the names though
because the DM has been in use for years so I don't want to break
compatibility. Of course I could consider just adding new method names
instead, but to be honest I don't think that outweighs the
disadvantage of having two methods that do the same thing.

> But the examples posted in this thread thus far, I would not fit into
> the fluent category.  They're more like a classical builder API.  Not
> that there's anything wrong with that, I just don't want to see people
> start abusing terminology and then (slippery slope) 2 years down the
> track the entire JRE is considered to be a fluent API.

Ok. :)

Greetings, Marcel