felix-users mailing list archives

From Brad Cox <b...@virtualschool.edu>
Subject Re: Monolithic tools with trailer hitches
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:33:48 GMT
That's exactly the problem. Once we sort out how to make components,
how to make some people want to use, and advance them thru many
non-technical stages to become trusted components that folks will
actually trust, we come to the fundamental problem; an incentive model
for going to all that time and expense.

As I put it at http://bradcox.blogspot.com, ours is a mud brick
business. We are *paid* to make ad-hoc untrusted mud bricks; i.e.
services is the only robust way to get paid. Mud bricks are *free*. Real
(trusted) ones are not.

I was once an optimist on this point; even wrote a book on how to do it.
These days I'm not.

Sun/RedHat have an interesting model. Give away the bits. Sell trust
instead. I.e. OpenSSO express vs enterprise.