felix-users mailing list archives

From <Anthony.Holl...@barclayscapital.com>
Subject RE: Running multiple instances of one bundle?
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:11:02 GMT
Paul, unfortunately the below program has the following output. Note
that I'm only using reflection in order to give Felix an oppportunity to
use it's own class loader, because it seemed pretty obvious that the
class (ThingWithSingleton) would get class-loaded before Felix started
if I didn't use relection. Code attached.

Have I completely misunderstood Felix?

Host Activator started.
Felix done starting.
Host Activator started.
singleton already instantiated for number2
Felix done starting.
Host Activator started.
singleton already instantiated for number3
Felix done starting.

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Pauls [mailto:karlpauls@gmail.com]
Sent: 18 November 2008 15:01
To: users@felix.apache.org
Subject: Re: Running multiple instances of one bundle?

I guess the clean way to do this would be to run multiple instances of
felix site-by-site (i.e., in the same vm). This is easily possible and
you could even bridge some stuff between the frameworks. Have a look
at:

http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-framework-launching-and-embedd
ing.html#ApacheFelixFrameworkLaunchingandEmbedding-embedding

regards,

Karl

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Richard S. Hall <heavy@ungoverned.org>
wrote:
> It used to be that you could do this by just installing the bundle
> again using a different location, but OSGi R4 added the additional
> requirement that the symbolic name + version pair must be unique, so
> this is no longer possible.
>
> It all depends on how isolated you want your instances to be, but one
> approach is to modify your bundle to provide a factory for creating
> instances of you app, then you can creating as many instances as you
want.

> A hacky approach is to create another copy of your bundle with a
> different symbolic name and install two copies.
>
> -> richard
>
> Anthony.Holland@barclayscapital.com wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Is it possible to run multiple instances of one bundle
simultaneously?
>> The idea here is to use OSGi as a way of running multiple instances,
>> in one JRE, of a very messy client application that uses lots of
>> singletons and so on. The multiple instances would be used to
load-test a server.
>> They would differ only in that they would each "log in" to the server
>> using a different userID, which could be passed in as a parameter or
>> fetched from a distinct OSGi service.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anthony
>>
>> This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged
>> or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended
>> recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any
>> means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender
>> that you have received it in error. Unless specifically indicated,
>> this e-mail is not an offer to buy or sell or a solicitation to buy
>> or sell any securities, investment products or other financial
>> product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or
>> an official statement of Barclays. Any views or opinions presented
>> are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
>> of Barclays. This e-mail is subject to terms available at the
>> following link: www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with
>> Barclays you consent to the foregoing.  Barclays Capital is the
>> investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC, a company
>> registered in England (number
>> 1026167) with its registered office at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14
5HP.
>>  This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the
>> Barclays Group.

Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com