felix-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Pauls <karlpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Contribution of Bundle ARchive (BAR) installer
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2017 15:20:23 GMT
On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 5:12 PM, Jan Willem Janssen
<janwillem.janssen@luminis.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>> On 9 Oct 2017, at 14:00, Neil Bartlett (Paremus) <neil.bartlett@paremus.com>
>> Hello Jan,
>>> On 9 Oct 2017, at 09:56, Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.janssen@luminis.eu>
This code is being contributed on behalf of Intel Corporation, who funded development. The
contribution is a plugin for File Install — an implementation of the ArtifactInstaller service
— which handles Bundle ARchive (BAR) files. This is a proposed format for an aggregate of
functionality represented as one or more OSGi bundles along with an OSGi index. It includes
use of the OSGi resolver API to check consistency and permits overlapping resources from multiple
installable units.
the Open Security Controller project (https://www.opensecuritycontroller.org/ <https://www.opensecuritycontroller.org/>).
>>> Nice work! I’ve glanced through the code and was wondering whether it is an
idea to separate the file-install specifics from the more generic resolver/management parts.
It would allow BARs to be installed by using different means (for example, a custom management
agent) than
>>> file install.
>> Yes that would be a relatively simple refactoring. I suggest looking at this kind
of change after the initial contribution is in the Apache incubator.
> Sure, no problem. Happy to accept this contribution...

> I do see a copyright notice from Intel in the source files. Do we need an
> CCLA for this contribution?

We will need to get this through the incubator as this is a code
contribution. It needs to follow the process outlined at
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ .

I think we should give this thread a little more time but if nobody
raises any objections I'll call a vote on the acceptance of the
contribution in a day or so. Assuming the vote passes I volunteer to
drive the ip-clearance and follow-up with the incubator.

> --
> Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards
> Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
> +31 631 765 814
> My world is something with Amdatu and Apache
> Luminis Technologies
> John F. Kennedylaan 32
> 7314 PS  Apeldoorn
> +31 88 586 46 25