felix-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Do we need to support other logging frameworks in felix framework?
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2017 22:56:04 GMT
I’m not sure what’s happening with the log service in R7, but in R6 it appears in the cmpn
rather than core spec.  It might be a bit confusing for the framework to contain the LogService
interface but not export it.

What exactly is wrong with using jul?  Aren’t there lightweight adapters available for everyones
choice of favorite log service?

david jencks
> On Mar 1, 2017, at 1:36 PM, Christian Schneider <chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:
>
> I just had an idea that might solve the problem of being flexible about the logger while
not using reflection.

> How about using the LogService interface to provide an adapter to an arbitrary logger?
>
> We use the FrameworkFactory config to specify a logger. Either as an object if that is
possible or as a class name given by the caller.
> The logger must implement LogService and can then internally bridge to any logging framework.
>
> Using the well known LogService interface would allow to avoid reflection and we also
do not need to change the spec. Of course the spec could still be changed to standardize how
to specify a logger like this but we could easily already start just in felix.

> Christian
>

> On 24.02.2017 15:32, Christian Schneider wrote:
>> Currently felix framework uses reflection to allow other logging frameworks. It is
a quite complicated and still pretty limited approach.
>> As far as I know this is only used for karaf to hook in. So I propose to only allow
to choose jul as it is built in and we can avoid to add dependencies as well as avoid to use
reflection.

>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-5525
>>
>> Karl reviewed the change and is generally positive but we would like to get feedback
from the community if this is a good idea.