felix-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Do we need to support other logging frameworks in felix framework?
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:09:09 GMT
Felix Meschberger wrote
> Hi all
> Hmm, thinking a bit more about this and looking at the FrameworkFactory class which is
targeted at launching frameworks in an implementation independent manner, I wonder, whether
logging being a crucial function in each and every application should not get special treatment
on a specification level ?
> Shouldn’t we try to get the specification extended to define a well known property
for configuration map handed to the FrameworkFactory.newFramework method which names some
sort of logger ?
> Unfortunately that configuration map is Map<String, String> so the logger itself
cannot be provided … but maybe some factory class name or so ?

Yepp, something in this direction was my suggestion as well - doesn't
work with the map due to String objects,but we could add a new method.
I already created an issue for this in the OSGi issue tracker, so we
will discuss this in one of our next calls I hope

> Regards
> Felix
>> Am 24.02.2017 um 16:39 schrieb Christian Schneider <chris@die-schneider.net>:
>> The problem is that we can not directly depend on the felix framework from karaf
as we must be able to switch between equinox and felix.
>> So the karaf starter may not have a direct dependency on felix framework.
>> So if the log service interface would be in an OSGi spec jar it would be fine.
>> Christian
>>> I'm fine with that as well. Basically, just replace the current
>>> reflection calls one-to-one with real methods (which will look like
>>> the OSGi LogService by-and-large).
>>> So karaf and others would just have to wrap their JUL logger with a
>>> simple Felix LogService decorator.
>>> regards,
>>> Karl
>> --