felix-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Do we need to support other logging frameworks in felix framework?
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2017 14:57:21 GMT
Christian Schneider wrote
> Currently felix framework uses reflection to allow other logging
> frameworks. It is a quite complicated and still pretty limited approach.
> As far as I know this is only used for karaf to hook in. So I propose to
> only allow to choose jul as it is built in and we can avoid to add
> dependencies as well as avoid to use reflection.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-5525
>
> Karl reviewed the change and is generally positive but we would like to
> get feedback from the community if this is a good idea.

What about using the LogService once it is available to log. As this is
usually one of the first bundles (hopefully) this can then use whatever
logging mechanism is deployed - instead of trying to support all of the
available things out there.

The current way works, but is not portable which means you have to do
other things if running a different framework - which I think is bad.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland