felix-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Pauls <karlpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Do we need to support other logging frameworks in felix framework?
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2017 15:11:54 GMT
> What about using the LogService once it is available to log. As this is
> usually one of the first bundles (hopefully) this can then use whatever
> logging mechanism is deployed - instead of trying to support all of the
> available things out there.

No. We tried that before and we had issues with this approach. It
makes the most sense but it opens up deadlock possibilities in all
sort of ways as we might be logging in places where we hold framework
and classloading/resolving specific locks. Calling out to bundles at
that point is a really bad idea, unfortunately.

> The current way works, but is not portable which means you have to do
> other things if running a different framework - which I think is bad.

I agree, but we can't really get around that. However, we did
previously just used the osgi LogService interfaces and that was what
we supported to have passed to the framework for logging (just not
from a bundle).

regards,

Karl

--