felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Implementation of unreleased spec and community
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2017 19:23:46 GMT
On 1/18/17 14:06 , Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> Let's take a clearer example, as I have a feeling I'm still not understood
> correctly.  My problem is definitely not the fact that there is an
> implementation based on an unreleased spec or RFC (as my email title seemed
> to indicate).
>
> If a committer comes and say : I'd like to implement rfc-xxx based on the
> public document (spec or rfc), that's very fine with me, because all
> committers have the same level of information and can get involved.   Fwiw,
> that's what usually happens and I haven't seen anything different in Felix
> so far.
>
> If someone comes and say: I'd like to work on some code which will
> eventually become the RI while writing the rfc within the OSGi alliance, I
> don't think that's fine, because what we have in this case is not an
> implementation of something, it's a prototype for designing the spec and
> only OSGi Alliance members who are actually working on the rfc can really
> change the api.
>
> Is that more clear now ?  Am I the only one thinking that if not all
> committers can work on the code, there's a real problem ?

This is what I assumed that you meant and I don't really see an issue
with it. Yeah, it might be more painful than if there was a public
document somewhere, but this is a little bit of a chicken-and-egg
situation that will eventually clear itself up.

Of course, if you had someone purposely trying to keep people in the
dark, then this might be an issue, but I don't think this is a real
concern and certainly not something we've ever experienced. I have to
assume that someone doing the implementation work here would want to
discuss with other people and get input, otherwise why would they be
doing the work here in the first place?

-> richard

>>> On 18 Jan 2017, at 12:36, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Fwiw, I think Christian was referring to the JAX-RS WHITEBOARD, not the
>>> JAX-RS spec itself.
>>> That one is an RFC from the OSGi Alliance...  RFC-127 afaik.
>> This is pretty much my point. Why raise an issue with the “Whiteboard”
>> half of “JAX-RS Whiteboard” but not with the “JAX-RS” half? Why don’t your
>> arguments also apply to JCR specs, or IEEE or W3C specs?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Neil

>> single

>> it.