felix-dev mailing list archives

From David Bosschaert <david.bosscha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for slight amendment to Felix provisional OSGi API policy
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2017 10:34:44 GMT
Hi Christian,

On 3 January 2017 at 10:00, Christian Schneider <chris@die-schneider.net>

>> Why do we need the mandatory provisional attribute? With the version < 1
> we already ensure that we have a clean cut when the
> final API is released.
> I think this extra protection only makes it harder to use the API.
Something like this is already in the current provisional API policy [1]
but it was modified based on discussion earlier in this thread. Basically
it's an extra safeguard to prevent people form accidentally using the
provisional API, for example in case they import the API without specifying
the version number.
It also disambiguates multiple different projects that might use the
non-final API which might be in different stages of development.