felix-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for slight amendment to Felix provisional OSGi API policy
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2017 14:33:02 GMT

As of now, we don’t have an official branch policy. In fact we had a discussion before and
we decided against such.

So I would think that we should continue releasing from trunk and from trunk only.

As such I like Tom’s proposal for a R-Next working branch. And since OSGi generally releases
yearly with just consecutive spec version numbers we could just create a single branches/osgi-r-7
(or 8 or 9 or …) branch where we have branch copies of the specs we implement.

This is orthogonal, though, to the question of whether we should be „releasing“ provisional
API in the org.osgi namespace.


> Am 04.01.2017 um 15:23 schrieb Thomas Watson <tjwats@gmail.com>:
> My preference would be to do new osgi R-Next work in a dedicated feature
> branch instead of directly in trunk.  That way trunk remains releasable at
> all times.  But if we want to instead branch each project when its trunk
> version becomes unreleasable then I guess that is fine, but it does seem
> confusing.
> If that is what felix dev has agreed to then I do request a branch for scr
> to release some fixes for the R6 scr implementation.  I'm have a few fixes
> that I need to get released very soon in order to allow the felix scr
> implementation to be used as the DS implementation in Eclipse.
> Tom
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 1:56 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> Thomas Watson wrote
>>> This has come to my attention because I am working on some fixes in the
>> SCR
>>> implementation.  I noticed the latest SCR in trunk now depends on
>>> org.apache.felix.configadmin 1.9.0-SNAPSHOT.  And I think
>>> org.apache.felix.configadmin 1.9.0 is being used to implement OSGi R7.
>> So
>>> now we have OSGi R7 API updates in trunk for existing OSGi packages.  If
>> I
>>> understand correctly that means trunk is no longer in a state where we
>> can
>>> release SCR or configadmin out of.  Instead we have to create a branch to
>>> get new releases of these bundles until a time when OSGi R7 is finalized
>>> and released.  That seems like a bad state to be in.
>> We already have the branch for config admin and if we think that we need
>> another R6 based release of SCR we can create the branch on demand like
>> we did with config admin.
>> I started with these two projects in a branch and at one point we have
>> to merge the branch into trunk. I thought that now is the time as I
>> didn't expect another release before R7 will be out. Might be wrong...
>> In any case, creating that branch is easy. Just shout and it will be done.
>> Carsten
>> --
>> Carsten Ziegeler
>> Adobe Research Switzerland
>> cziegeler@apache.org

View raw message