felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.jans...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Resolver 'latch' bundle / sub module
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:40:38 GMT

> On 10 Nov 2016, at 16:38, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Jan Willem Janssen wrote
>>
>>> On 10 Nov 2016, at 16:18, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Let's assume you have an app, consisting of dozens of services, for
>>> simplicity let's assume they are all in one bundle. Now you don't want
>>> to start any of these services until some condition is met.
>>> Clearly, you can add these special reference to each and every of the
>>> dozen services, but that doesn't look nice to me.
>>
>> Given that they all reside in the same bundle makes it quite easy to let
>> all services act upon a bundle-local service that acts as a gatekeeper for
>> starting up the other services. It makes it quite explicit when things do
>> not start up as to why this happens.
>>
>> Using the module layer to solve this problem sounds still like a wrong
>> approach to me.
>>

> I know that my bundle does not work at all if lets say a database is not
> available. However in my app I don't need a dependency on any database
> service as my services are picked up using whiteboard.
>
> I don't see any reason to start my bundle at all.

So if the database service drops or is stopped for whatever reason, your
bundle should stop and no longer resolve?

--
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

My world is something with Amdatu and Apache

Luminis Technologies
Churchillplein 1
7314 BZ  Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 00