felix-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Bakker <paul.bakker...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Config admin for apps deployed using docker
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2016 10:52:16 GMT
Hi Christian,

Environment variables are indeed the way to go. Using for example Amdatu Configurator (http://amdatu.org/components/configurator.html
<http://amdatu.org/components/configurator.html>) you can create property files (or
metatype xml) that contain variables. For example:

mykey=${some_env_var}

Variables are replaced by environment variables. So with the example above you could pass
in an override "docker run -e some_env_var=somevalue ..."

Cheers,

Paul

> On 03 Jun 2016, at 10:33, Christian Schneider <chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:
>
> I am currently looking into making OSGi projects deployable as docker images.
>
> For the plain deployment I already found some good solutions:
> - bndtools allows to package an application as a self contained jar. This can then be
put into a docker image
> - A karaf custom distro can also be packaged as a docker image nicely. The static profile
allows to even omit the feature service

> In both solutions though configuration is not nicely supported in a style suitable for
docker.

> It is of course easy to supply config for karaf by putting configs into the etc dir when
doing the custom distro. The problem is only how to allow overrides from the docker side.
> Bndtools or more precisely enroute allows to define default configs as magic property
files in a bundle and can use an extender to apply these.

> The typical approach in docker and docker compose seems to be to use env variables and
system properties.
> I wonder if we could support that better by allowing to override any config admin config.
>
> For an env var or system property something like this might do:
> cm:<pid>:<key>=value
>
> So the files could contain the defaults and env and system properties could override
them. Does that make sense? Do we already have other options that I am missing?