felix-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Git dies of lack of interest?
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2015 17:57:27 GMT
Marcel Offermans wrote

> Let me speak for myself here, I don’t see compelling arguments for moving to Git. What
problem are we solving here? Why is moving to Git the right solution?
> That’s where my lack of enthusiasm comes from. Nobody has yet explained that to me.
And splitting the project so each subproject ends up in a different repository
> sounds even less appealing to me (which I am afraid will happen if we
just start moving one, or a few, subprojects). I would be in favour of a
plan where we
> either move every subproject, or none at all. And before we start the
move, please come up with a plan that outlines the steps that need to be
taken.
> Maybe even physically do the migration and demonstrate that things
like our release processes are still working. And yes, that is a lot of
work,
> and enough people need to step up and offer their help.

I don't see compelling arguments to move to git either, however it seems
that some here prefer it. Therefore I put it in the same category as
other tools, some of us prefer or use Maven others bndtools - and we
support/allow both. And yes, this is already a problem for our users as
they have to know different tools to build different projects from
source - might not sound like a big issue, but still. Using different
SCMs for different sub projects will not make it easier for our users.
But maybe not really harder either. We have lots of reports were people
checkout the whole Felix source tree and try to build all projects from
the root, just because they are interested in a single project.
Splitting up will at least help here :)

Or to make the long story short, if some people their sub project
benefits from moving to git, I don't see a good enough argument to
prevent them from doing so. Otherwise we would need to agree on all
tools - which would be a fun exercise :)

Regards
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler