felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: git?
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 12:24:16 GMT
I would be more comfortable if we first had someone volunteer to adapt all (Maven and Ant/Gradle
based builds) to work with Git and otherwise ensure that all projects keep working. Then demonstrate
all of that (with a copy of our repository), and update our documentation to reflect the new
processes before we decide on making such a move. I have a feeling this is going to be a lot
of work and it could break quite a few processes that we currently have which is why I don’t
think we should “just switch” and then try to pick up the broken pieces.

Greetings, Marcel

On 31 October 2015 at 22:01:01 , Oliver Lietz (apache@oliverlietz.de) wrote:

On Friday 30 October 2015 06:41:09 Benson Margulies wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 2:36 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org>
> > Am 30.10.15 um 01:48 schrieb Benson Margulies:
> >> Is this a consensus to proceed yet? It's been a few days since the
> >> last contribution.
> >
> > We clearly have different opinions, they range from "why change?",
> > "let's get moving" to "let's do more than a simple conversion".
> > I don't see a clear consensus/agreement on any of the three. For each
> > opinion there are imho good/valid arguments. I have the feeling that a
> > formal vote does not lead us anywhere.
> >
> > Maybe someone can clearly identify/list the benefits for everyone if we
> > move from svn to a single git repo - compared to using the already
> > existing git proxy. I think this should give everyone a clear view of
> > why the migration makes sense. And if there are no compelling reasons
> > then we have a decision as well.
> I think I can state some advantages:
> 1: Make it significantly easier to apply patches from people who
> provide them via github.
> 2: Make it significantly easier to create branches in the main repo
> for collaborative changes.
> 3: Take a first step towards subdividing into multiple repos where
> that makes sense.

some more:

Is there already a project at Apache which moved from Subversion to Git
setting up multiple repos or even a repo per release artifact?