felix-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart McCulloch <mccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Roadmap for maven bundle plugin?
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:14:24 GMT
Hi,

Just want to clarify that you aren’t forced to use the ‘bundle’ packaging type with
the maven-bundle-plugin, the ‘bundle’ packaging is a convenience which avoids having to
add explicit executions to invoke goals at the right points of the maven build lifecycle (such
as using bndlib to pull content into the jar, and deploying the artifact to OBR). You can
still use individual maven-bundle-plugin goals with other packaging types by adding executions,
for example:

http://felix.apache.org/documentation/subprojects/apache-felix-maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html#adding-osgi-metadata-to-existing-projects-without-changing-the-packaging-type

That said, the maven-bundle-plugin is focused more on using bndlib to pull content into jars
rather than create manifests for existing content - so projects that want to generate OSGi
manifests for other packaging types might find the bnd-maven-plugin easier to integrate.

--
Cheers, Stuart

On Monday, 9 November 2015 at 17:36, Neil Bartlett (Paremus) wrote:

> Just addressing a couple of points made on this list.
>
> Yes, we support only instructions in the separate bnd.bnd file (currently). However with
judicious use of Java annotations, we find that you very rarely need bnd instructions at all!
However I don’t agree that this is the "biggest difference" between bnd-maven-plugin and
maven-bundle-plugin… The biggest differences are: (a) no special packaging type, and (b)
no magic/implicit exports.

> The licence of bnd-maven-plugin is Apache. However since bnd-maven-plugin is part of
the bnd project, it is released at the same time as any enhancements made to bnd. This helps
people who want to use the very latest bnd features.

> @Benson: There are no plans to implement Embed-Dependency, and I would oppose any move
to do so since I think it’s such a terrible idea.