felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: git?
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2015 18:43:08 GMT
On 24 October 2015 at 11:36:03, Benson Margulies (benson@basistech.com(mailto:benson@basistech.com))
wrote:

> > So I would definitely argue against getting a Git repository per bundle.
> > Per subproject sounds like the right granularity to me.
>
> If a subproject is released all at once, then we're completely
> agreeing. If not, then your preference means exercising the
> occasionally squishy part of the release plugin; maybe it will get
> fixed once and for all.

So for the dependency manager we reasoned as follows:

1) When talking about releases within Apache, we are talking about source code. Releasing
that a subproject at a time makes sense to me as the code, even if it ends up in different
bundles, clearly belongs together.

2) Binary releases are a matter of convenience and “what is convenient” depends a lot
on where you’re coming from. A lot of people would argue that putting a binary in Maven
is convenient, but there are definitely other options. The binary releases also don’t have
to have a 1:1 mapping with the source, so we can have N bundles being put in Maven and other
repositories all from the same source release.

Greetings, Marcel