felix-dev mailing list archives

From developm...@mobigov.com
Subject Re: git?
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2015 21:17:05 GMT

If I am understanding you correctlyl you can create your own git project
and add the other git repos as submodules in your project. Then do

git submodule foreach git pull origin master

I personally hate git submodules though.

David Daniel

On 2015-10-24 16:21, David Jencks wrote:

> I like having several felix subprojects open in one eclipse instance at once, which the
current svn structure facilitates. Having just one git svn rebase to run is nice. Is there
a way to stitch together several smaller git repos that would work similarly? Not knowing
how to do this, I am starting to lean towards one big repo.

> FWIW, I'm hoping to move DS onto a gradle based build soon.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
> On Oct 24, 2015, at 2:51 PM, Benson Margulies <benson@basistech.com> wrote: Greeting,
Marcel, It's not my intention to try to talk anyone into changing how they release anything.
For the things that are built with Maven, it's my preference to avoid exercising the maven-release-plugin's
feature of handling multiple released items in a repo, but it's just a preference. If the
acceptable compromise is to have less repos than releasable items (possibly as few as one
repo), I'd personally rather do that than not move to git at all. regards, benson On Sat,
Oct 24, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote: On 24
October 2015 at 11:36:03, Benson Margulies (benson@basistech.com(mailto:benson@basistech.com))
wrote: So I would definitely argue against getting a Git repository per bundle. Per subproject
sounds like the right granularity to me. If a subproject is released all at once, then we're
completely agreeing. If not, then your preference means exercising the
occasionally squishy part of the release plugin; maybe it will get fixed once and for all.
 So for the dependency manager we reasoned as follows: 1) When talking
about releases within Apache, we are talking about source code.
Releasing that a subproject at a time makes sense to me as the code,
even if it ends up in different bundles, clearly belongs together. 2)
Binary releases are a matter of convenience and "what is convenient"
depends a lot on where you're coming from. A lot of people would argue
that putting a binary in Maven is convenient, but there are definitely
other options. The binary releases also don't have to have a 1:1 mapping
with the source, so we can have N bundles being put in Maven and other
repositories all from the same source release. Greetings, Marcel