felix-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: git?
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2015 20:21:02 GMT
I like having several felix subprojects open in one eclipse instance at once, which the current
svn structure facilitates.  Having just one git svn rebase to run is nice.  Is there a way
to stitch together  several smaller git repos that would work similarly?  Not knowing how
to do this, I am starting to lean towards one big repo.

FWIW, I’m hoping to move DS onto a gradle based build soon.

thanks
david jencks

wrote:

>>> If a subproject is released all at once, then we're completely
>>> agreeing. If not, then your preference means exercising the
>>> occasionally squishy part of the release plugin; maybe it will get
>>> fixed once and for all.
>>
>> So for the dependency manager we reasoned as follows:
>>
>> 1) When talking about releases within Apache, we are talking about source code. Releasing
that a subproject at a time makes sense to me as the code, even if it ends up in different
bundles, clearly belongs together.

>> 2) Binary releases are a matter of convenience and “what is convenient” depends
a lot on where you’re coming from. A lot of people would argue that putting a binary in
Maven is convenient, but there are definitely other options. The binary releases also don’t
have to have a 1:1 mapping with the source, so we can have N bundles being put in Maven and
other repositories all from the same source release.