felix-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <ben...@basistech.com>
Subject Re: git?
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2015 18:51:16 GMT
Greeting, Marcel,

It's not my intention to try to talk anyone into changing how they
release anything. For the things that are built with Maven, it's my
preference to avoid exercising the maven-release-plugin's feature of
handling multiple released items in a repo, but it's just a
preference. If the acceptable compromise is to have less repos than
releasable items (possibly as few as one repo), I'd personally rather
do that than not move to git at all.

regards,

benson

wrote:

>> > So I would definitely argue against getting a Git repository per bundle.
>> > Per subproject sounds like the right granularity to me.
>>
>> If a subproject is released all at once, then we're completely
>> agreeing. If not, then your preference means exercising the
>> occasionally squishy part of the release plugin; maybe it will get
>> fixed once and for all.
>
> So for the dependency manager we reasoned as follows:
>
> 1) When talking about releases within Apache, we are talking about source code. Releasing
that a subproject at a time makes sense to me as the code, even if it ends up in different
bundles, clearly belongs together.

> 2) Binary releases are a matter of convenience and “what is convenient” depends a
lot on where you’re coming from. A lot of people would argue that putting a binary in Maven
is convenient, but there are definitely other options. The binary releases also don’t have
to have a 1:1 mapping with the source, so we can have N bundles being put in Maven and other
repositories all from the same source release.