felix-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: git?
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2015 21:32:24 GMT
On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 4:21 PM, David Jencks <david.a.jencks@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like having several felix subprojects open in one eclipse instance at once, which the
current svn structure facilitates.  Having just one git svn rebase to run is nice.  Is there
a way to stitch together  several smaller git repos that would work similarly?  Not knowing
how to do this, I am starting to lean towards one big repo.

Well, there are git submodules. But I hate to take everyone into that
rabbit hole. I think we should aim to start with one big repo and
assume we can tame the maven-release-plugin to start with.

wrote:

>>> So for the dependency manager we reasoned as follows:
>>>
>>> 1) When talking about releases within Apache, we are talking about source code.
Releasing that a subproject at a time makes sense to me as the code, even if it ends up in
different bundles, clearly belongs together.

>>> 2) Binary releases are a matter of convenience and “what is convenient” depends
a lot on where you’re coming from. A lot of people would argue that putting a binary in
Maven is convenient, but there are definitely other options. The binary releases also don’t
have to have a 1:1 mapping with the source, so we can have N bundles being put in Maven and
other repositories all from the same source release.