felix-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: git?
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2015 10:41:09 GMT
On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 2:36 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
> Am 30.10.15 um 01:48 schrieb Benson Margulies:
>> Is this a consensus to proceed yet? It's been a few days since the
>> last contribution.
> We clearly have different opinions, they range from "why change?",
> "let's get moving" to "let's do more than a simple conversion".
> I don't see a clear consensus/agreement on any of the three. For each
> opinion there are imho good/valid arguments. I have the feeling that a
> formal vote does not lead us anywhere.
> Maybe someone can clearly identify/list the benefits for everyone if we
> move from svn to a single git repo - compared to using the already
> existing git proxy. I think this should give everyone a clear view of
> why the migration makes sense. And if there are no compelling reasons
> then we have a decision as well.

I think I can state some advantages:

1: Make it significantly easier to apply patches from people who
provide them via github.

2: Make it significantly easier to create branches in the main repo
for collaborative changes.

3: Take a first step towards subdividing into multiple repos where
that makes sense.

My sense of the email thread is that we have some enthusiastic
supporters of moving to git, and some '+0' weak objectors. So, in some
models of consensus process, that would be a reason to go ahead. Do
you want to recast this as a VOTE as a way of clarifying views?

> Carsten
> --
> Carsten Ziegeler
> Adobe Research Switzerland