felix-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OBR Documentation modifications got deleted?
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:18:34 GMT
Am 28.04.15 um 17:17 schrieb David Bosschaert:
> Hi all,
>
> I wrote a small amount of documentation last year on Felix OBR and
> that it implements the Enterprise R5 Repository spec. It wasn't a
> large amount, just a start. However, I just found out that my docs
> page has been replaced by an old version!
>
> Its visible in the OBR Repository File section:
>
> * The current documentation page is this:
> http://felix.apache.org/documentation/subprojects/apache-felix-osgi-bundle-repository.html#obr-repository-file
> * And the page that actually has newer changes but has been removed on
> it is still visible on
> http://web.archive.org/web/20140707000032/http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-osgi-bundle-repository.html#ApacheFelixOSGiBundleRepository-OBRRepositoryFile
>
> Now I didn't add a whole lot of stuff, but this worries me. Opensource
> projects often struggle having good documentation. If the work that
> people put in actually gets removed that makes it worse.
>
> Does anyone know what happened here?

I think when we migrated to the new cms, either the migration used old
content or you updated the old version (below site/) after that.
As  the migration to the new cms left us with both the old and the new
version which is totally confusing to users, we decided to simply drop
the old site.

Now, actually there was still the task open to compare the old docs with
the new docs to prevent exactly this situation; but after some years of
having both not all docs were revisited.

So, I guess the way how to fix this is updated the existing
documentation with the stuff that is missing.

I know this is not good and I ran into similar situations several times
in the past (different project, same problem)

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland