felix-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [SCR] BND file ok ?
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2015 04:01:22 GMT
Ok, it seems like now all the changes I've made for the last year +  are getting discussed
which is good :-)

I'd like to propose that instead of re-maven-ifying ds we gradle-bndtools-ize it instead and
drop maven entirely from this sub-project.  I haven't had time to experiment with this conversion
but IIUC Pierre has been trying it out in his dependency manager sandbox project.  Unfortunately
I haven't even had time to investigate that.  Could anyone comment on it?

Based on the speed of the bnd and osgi ct builds I would suspect that it would cut the ds
build time by about 75%.  However I have no concrete evidence to support this.

david jencks

On Feb 6, 2015, at 3:42 AM, Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi
> With FELIX-4537 [1] the bundle plugin configuration was moved out into a .bnd file.
> While the format of either pom.xml or .bnd is debatable I think we should be having a
discussion around this. For now we always had all bundle plugin configuration in the pom.xml
and I see a clear advantage to that: All configuration for the bundle generation is in one
with @Version annotations to have the package version close to the code it describes.
> Also, the .bnd file is not really properly set up, unfortunately:
>  * It hard codes many of the configurations of the POM file. If we stick with the .bnd
these values should referenced with variables — if not possible, I fear that would be another
argument against the .bnd file…
>  * The bundle must import all exports, this is particularly important for the util.function
and util.promise packages.
> I have no hard feelings about whether we keep the .bnd or not. My personal impression
is just that having two files to configure things makes it harder to maintain and bears the
danger of duplication of information (e.g. the bundle version). So I have slight preference,
if you will :-)
> Regards
> Felix
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-4537