felix-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject [SCR] BND file ok ?
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2015 08:42:34 GMT
Hi

With FELIX-4537 [1] the bundle plugin configuration was moved out into a .bnd file.

While the format of either pom.xml or .bnd is debatable I think we should be having a discussion
around this. For now we always had all bundle plugin configuration in the pom.xml and I see
a clear advantage to that: All configuration for the bundle generation is in one place.

Apart from this discussion, I think we should switch to using package-info.java files with
@Version annotations to have the package version close to the code it describes.

Also, the .bnd file is not really properly set up, unfortunately:

  * It hard codes many of the configurations of the POM file. If we stick with the .bnd these
values should referenced with variables — if not possible, I fear that would be another
argument against the .bnd file…

  * The bundle must import all exports, this is particularly important for the util.function
and util.promise packages.

I have no hard feelings about whether we keep the .bnd or not. My personal impression is just
that having two files to configure things makes it harder to maintain and bears the danger
of duplication of information (e.g. the bundle version). So I have slight preference, if you
will :-)

Regards
Felix

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-4537