felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Make DependencyManager API more fluent?
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:15:58 GMT
Hello Christian,

On 13 Nov 2014 at 14:16:01 , Christian Schneider (chris@die-schneider.net) wrote:

I very much like the idea of a separate builder class. It will make the
transition very smooth. We can also package it in an extra bundle but I
do not think there is a technical need for it. So I propose to simply
add the new syntax in a separate package.
I agree there is no need for it, but in general we do so to keep things modular. :) That’s
why, for example, we’ve also separated the runtime (that acts on annotations after they
have been processed and converted into json metadata) and some of the other components. So
I do have a slight preference to keep things separate, but it’s not a decision we need to
make upfront so let’s first make sure we have a good implementation!

if we want to remove the old syntax at some point then we have to do
this in a major version. So as 4.0 is quite near we might aim at this
for 5.0.
Agreed, for now the focus is on getting ready for 4.0, and new builders (and some other ideas
we have now) can be done as minor updates.

We do not need to introduce the new API (if we keep the old one
unchanged) in a major version. It is not a breaking change so I think it
can be introduced in any minor version. Of course we can do it in
version 4.0 but there is no technical need for it.
Agreed.

Btw. I am at apachecon next week. Would be great if we could take the
chance to meet in person.
That’s an excellent idea!

Greetings, Marcel