felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Improve Service Access (FELIX-4692)
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 14:46:14 GMT
On 11/12/14 09:17 , Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have created a patch to improve the Service Access time. With this patch applied I
measure 4-5 times faster access to the service registry in our application which in general
access services simply by its name and almost never uses a filter.

> I expect that this patch also significantly improves service access if both a filter
and a service name is supplied. I expect no change if no service name is supplied, though,
since then the complete service registry has to be searched.

> See issue FELIX-4692.
>
> It would be great if this patch could be quickly reviewed before I actually apply it.

I commented on the bug.

I don't see any issue with the patch per se, but I'd be interested in
knowing where in the execution path for find a service by objectClass we
are seeing overhead.

For the  most part, it looks like this should just create an already
parsed filter call CapSet.match() which would internally call another
match(), where we would hit the index and return the result.

It seems like the only overhead besides creating the parsed simple
filter is a a couple method calls and some conditionals. Would it make a
difference if we simply checked for the special case of an objectClass
filter immediately rather than making it the else? Seems hard to believe
it would, but you never know.

-> richard