felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.jans...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: Event Admin Java Concurrency Changes
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2014 13:28:15 GMT

Hi Bob,

On 15/08/14 14:58, Bob Paulin wrote:
> I noticed in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-3511 Java
> Concurrency is being introduced to the code base.  A couple of
> thoughts on this.
>
> 1) With this not being backwards compatible with earlier versions
> does it make sense to increment at least the minor version (ie 1.3
> -> 1.4). Java 8 introduces a slew of incompatibility with prior
> releases with the changes to the collection libraries so I'm
> curious how other projects are handling this.

As I understand the issue, it talks about going from Java 5 to Java 6
as required version, but yes, strictly speaking this would mean a
minor bump at least. We should be more strict on this, I agree (made
the same mistake in the Felix HTTP project as well).

> 2) Event admin has no tests.  I would be interested in working on
> creating some tests for this project.  Any thoughts on where to
> begin with this effort?

I think the current implementation is written (and maintained) by
people that have access to the OSGi TCK, so they can tests the
implementation against the specification, which might explain the lack
of unit and integration tests.

But to get started: just start writing unit tests against the code in
trunk and provide them as patches. It is always good to have tests
written by somebody else, as they most often have new/fresh insights
in the use cases...

> 3) It appears there maybe other areas of the event admin code that
> might benefit from the Concurrency objects.  Perhaps the use of one
> of the Queue constructs for holding some of the asynchronous
> events.  Thoughts on this?

As long as it has positive effect on the performance, I think nobody
will complaint about this, if you're willing to provide patches ;)

- --
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

/My world is revolving around INAETICS and Amdatu/

Luminis Technologies B.V.
Churchillplein 1
7314 BZ   Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 00