felix-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Upgrading to Jetty 9
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2014 06:35:45 GMT

The question really is whether the _internal_ upgrade of the Jetty bundle to Jetty 9 really
is a major change for the Http Service functionality ?

Backwards compatibility is not expected to be hampered. The only difference, apart from the
new features offered potentially by Jetty 9, such as javax.websockets API support, is that
the bundle now requires Java 7. And I am not really sure, whether an updated requirement really
warrants going to the next major version.

I know dropping Java 6 support is a problem in some cases, but hey, the world keeps on spinning

If possible, I'd rather create two artifacts from the same project, if at all possible: One
embedding Jetty 8 (supporting Java 6) and one embedding Jetty 9 (requiring Java 7).

Am 25.07.2014 um 19:29 schrieb Tobias Bocanegra <tripod@apache.org>:

> Hi,
> there is an issue that deals with upgrading jetty to 9.x [0]. As it
> requires java 7, it is not a trivial update. basically the question
> is:
> - create 2 bundles: org.apache.felix.http.[jetty8|jetty9]
> - or update the maven artifact version to 3.0.0 (from 2.4.x)
> I would tend to the later....
> regards, toby
> [0] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-4550

View raw message