felix-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Handling of provisional OSGi API?
Date Fri, 16 May 2014 06:14:05 GMT

right now we have a policy for handling provisional OSGi API (API that is
currently drafted in the OSGi expert groups but not final or officially
released yet):

While the policy is good and nice, it requires to rename the packages from
an OSGi namespace to an Apache one for the reasons stated in the policy.
However, this creates a burden for people using this stuff, e.g. when
writing tests as these need to be refactored later on anyway.

The reference implementation of the new Http Service (RFC 189) will be done
as part of Apache Felix and we would like to start working on this in the
open. Therefore we need to commit the current version of the API draft
somewhere. I think if we do this in the whiteboard section, it should be
clear enough that the API is provisional and we don't need to rename the
packages. We can also add all kinds of disclaimers/readmes etc.
But before doing so, I would like to get the general feeling about this.

So, wdyt?

Carsten Ziegeler