felix-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject [DS] How dynamically configurable should delayedKeepInstances be?
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 19:20:32 GMT
As noted in a previous email I'm working on enabling the felix optional/extension features
through component descriptor attributes.  I discovered that configuring delayedKeepInstances
is more dynamic than I realized.

Currently you can fire up a delayed component, get the instance, change the delayedKeepInstances
setting, unget the reference, and the configuration change will take effect immediately.
I'm not convinced this is a wonderful idea.  I kinda think that if we do this, then if we
change the configuration from true to false we should go around and drop any delayed components
that don't have current users, but I really don't want to write the code for that.

I propose we change the behavior so that the component's delayedKeepInstances setting is determined
when its descriptor is read by combining the (new) attribute value and the current scr configuration
setting.

This would be a behavior change and I don't feel very strongly about this so if anyone objects
I'm happy to dynamically determine the setting when the last reference goes away from the
combination of the scr configuration (dynamic) and the descriptor attribute (static).

thanks
david jencks