felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Why DependencyManager rather than DS?
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2013 20:32:26 GMT
On 10/15/13 13:51 , David Jencks wrote:
> After seeing a lot of commit activity on DependencyManager I decided to try to understand
what it's for, and after looking at the documentation I'm still not sure.  It looks to me
like the main feature is a fluent api that provides something like DS, although less declaratively,
and then there are some special cases that might be slightly simpler than just declaring a
service that does the same thing (aspects, temporal)

> So as a DS partisan :-) I'm wondering what the big advantages of DependencyManager are.

I'll let Marcel et al answer this portion of your question.

> I also wonder if it would be useful to add to DS a fluent api for adding components at
runtime.  I think this would be pretty easy, just construct ComponentMetadata and add it to
the appropriate BundleComponentActivator.

Actually, because of DM the idea of spec'ing something like its API for
DS had been discussed inside the OSGi Alliance a while back, not sure
why it didn't go anywhere.

-> richard