felix-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] contribute maven-bundle-plugin to Apache Maven
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:40:49 GMT
Hi,

I find this an intriguing idea and would really position creating OSGi bundles as a first-class
job of build Java modules.

Stuart, I assume you are a maven committer, so you continuing to maintain the plugin would
be possible ? It would be a shame if we contribute the plugin to maven and it would then be
orphaned...

Regards
Felix

Am 28.02.2013 um 14:35 schrieb Stuart McCulloch:

> During the "[DISCUSS] rename maven-bundle-plugin to bnd-maven-plugin" thread Marcel and
Guillaume came up with counter-suggestions involving contributing the maven-bundle-plugin
to Apache Maven.

> This idea has certain advantages - the plugin name would not be an issue (assuming the
Maven team were ok with 'bundle'==OSGi, as there are other interpretations of 'bundle' such
as resource bundles) and there's then a chance we could get the 'bundle' packaging type recognized
by default by Maven (though this wouldn't necessarily be a done deal). It would also mean
that people wouldn't need to specify a groupId when adding the plugin to their pom.xml and
you could use the short form of the plugin name from the command-line.

> The disadvantages are this would still involve a change of plugin coordinates (org.apache.felix
-> org.apache.maven.plugins) and any changes or improvements would have to go through the
Apache Maven project.

> There's also a question of whether the Apache Maven team would accept the contribution...
>
> WDYT?
>
> --
> Cheers, Stuart
>
> On 28 Feb 2013, at 13:03, Marcel Offermans wrote:

>>> The Apache Maven team prefer to keep the maven-NNN-plugin naming for plugins
developed and maintained by them (ie. those with groupId org.apache.maven.plugins) whereas
Maven plugins developed by other Apache (or non-Apache) projects are encouraged to use NNN-maven-plugin
naming. The idea is to help avoid confusion about which plugins are directly supported by
Apache Maven team and which are supported elsewhere:

>>> 	http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/msg128850.html
>>>
>>> While renaming the plugin would be a courtesy to the Apache Maven team, it is
not mandatory if it would cause problems for downstream users - hence this discussion thread.

>> I would say, our users come first. Renaming the plugin causes them problems for no
reason (to them) so let's not do that.

--
Felix Meschberger | Principal Scientist | Adobe