felix-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WebConsole] Help/Doc Links
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:09:26 GMT
2013/1/30 Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> Let me shed some light on bugs FELIX-3879 and FELIX-3880: The goal is be able to link
to more detailed information from the configuration (and other) pages. For example we have
the Web Console configuration with some terse description of the properties. It would be helpful
if we could draw a help button which leads the administrator to a web page providing more
in-depth information about the configuration, the configured service or such.

> IMHO the solution proposed by FELIX-3879 and FELIX-3880 is too complicated and out-of-band,
particularly because it uses additional requests to load potential data. It also opens up
for breaking the web console alltogether.

> How about a different approach:
>
> (1) We define a service interface
>
>   public interface HelperProvider {
>       public String getHelp(String topic);
>   }
>
> The service returns an URL pointing to a web page providing more information.
>
> (2) Topics are just strings consisting of a domain (e.g. bundle, configuration, component)
and an identification (e.g. bundle symbolic name, configuration PID, component name) separated
by a slash:

>   configuration/org.apache.felix.webconsole.internal.servlet.OsgiManager
>   bundle/org.apache.felix.webconsole

I think we should use two arguments for the method - one for the
domain and one for the identification - otherwise the caller needs to
concat the string and the implementor needs to parse the string and
create substrings. This makes it a little bit easier to call and
implement.

Carsten

> (3) Multiple service can be registered which are queried in service.ranking order. The
first non-null response is used.

> (4) That URL is the used as a link behind the help button. If there is no URL, the link
button is disabled.

> Only "high-level" help is supported for configuration, bundles, etc. Property level (in
the case of configuration) information is available in the descriptions with more details
to be provided by the configuration-level page.

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org