felix-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [WebConsole] Help/Doc Links
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 20:18:53 GMT
Hi,

Yes, two arguments sounds usefull. And we could predefine two or three well-known domains
like bundle, configuration.

Regards
Felix

Am 01.02.2013 um 07:09 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:

> 2013/1/30 Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Let me shed some light on bugs FELIX-3879 and FELIX-3880: The goal is be able to
link to more detailed information from the configuration (and other) pages. For example we
have the Web Console configuration with some terse description of the properties. It would
be helpful if we could draw a help button which leads the administrator to a web page providing
more in-depth information about the configuration, the configured service or such.

>> IMHO the solution proposed by FELIX-3879 and FELIX-3880 is too complicated and out-of-band,
particularly because it uses additional requests to load potential data. It also opens up
for breaking the web console alltogether.

>> How about a different approach:
>>
>> (1) We define a service interface
>>
>>  public interface HelperProvider {
>>      public String getHelp(String topic);
>>  }
>>
>> The service returns an URL pointing to a web page providing more information.
>>
>> (2) Topics are just strings consisting of a domain (e.g. bundle, configuration, component)
and an identification (e.g. bundle symbolic name, configuration PID, component name) separated
by a slash:

>>  configuration/org.apache.felix.webconsole.internal.servlet.OsgiManager
>>  bundle/org.apache.felix.webconsole
>
> I think we should use two arguments for the method - one for the
> domain and one for the identification - otherwise the caller needs to
> concat the string and the implementor needs to parse the string and
> create substrings. This makes it a little bit easier to call and
> implement.
>
> Carsten
>

>> (3) Multiple service can be registered which are queried in service.ranking order.
The first non-null response is used.

>> (4) That URL is the used as a link behind the help button. If there is no URL, the
link button is disabled.

>> Only "high-level" help is supported for configuration, bundles, etc. Property level
(in the case of configuration) information is available in the descriptions with more details
to be provided by the configuration-level page.