felix-dev mailing list archives

From Tang Yong <tangy...@cn.fujitsu.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] rename maven-bundle-plugin to bnd-maven-plugin
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 08:03:15 GMT
I agree with the following very much!

 >That we use bndlib internally is a good (and the right) thing but it
is >just that: an implementation detail.

Thanks
--Tang

Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the heads up and thanks for your work you put into this. This is really appreciated
and the also community wise the plugin is really a key in the OSGi tooling.

> Having said that I appreciate the desire to align with Maven best practices but I share
the same concerns as Sahoo: The Maven Bundle Plugin has a good name in the community and thus
should not be changed too quickly and easily.

> Also, I don't think it should be renamed to "bnd", after all it is a plugin to build
bundles and should IMHO reflect that fact for the benefit of our users. That we use bndlib
internally is a good (and the right) thing but it is just that: an implementation detail.

> How about a compromise: Just switch from maven-bundle-plugin to bundle-maven-plugin ?
Also: How complex would it be to setup aliases ?

> Regards
> Felix
>
> Am 28.02.2013 um 08:43 schrieb Sahoo:
>
>> Stuart,
>>
>> I really appreciate all the effort you put in to make this plugin so
>> great. But, I am afraid, I can't support the renaming. It is going to
>> frustrate developers already frustrated with lack of good OSGi tools.
>> maven-bundle-plugin works great and we have many people used it now. The
>> renaming is going to confuse them than doing any good that I can think
>> of. I really don't see why maven has this convention that only plugins
>> hosted by Apache Maven can have names starting maven. Please consider -1
>> on behalf of GlassFish.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sahoo
>>
>> On Thursday 28 February 2013 02:56 AM, Stuart McCulloch wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> Now that we've got a 2.x version of bndlib in Maven Central (http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Cbiz.aQute%7Cbndlib%7C2.0.0.20130123-133441%7Cjar
- same level as shipped in bndtools 2) I'm looking to sort out a new release of the maven-bundle-plugin,
once I've gone through and triaged the pending issues in JIRA.

>>> I also figure that now might be the best time to "fix" the plugin name according
to Maven guidelines: http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-plugin-documentation.html
- apparently the name "maven-NNN-plugin" is supposed to be reserved for plugins hosted by
Apache Maven, while plugins hosted elsewhere should use names like "NNN-maven-plugin".

>>> So along with the upgrade to bndlib 2.x, I'm proposing to change the plugin name
to:

>>> 	bnd-maven-plugin
>>>
>>> which both respects the Maven plugin naming convention, and recognises the bnd
code which is actually doing most of the work.