felix-dev mailing list archives

From Sahoo <sanjeeb.sa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] rename maven-bundle-plugin to bnd-maven-plugin
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 07:43:30 GMT
Stuart,

I really appreciate all the effort you put in to make this plugin so
great. But, I am afraid, I can't support the renaming. It is going to
frustrate developers already frustrated with lack of good OSGi tools.
maven-bundle-plugin works great and we have many people used it now. The
renaming is going to confuse them than doing any good that I can think
of. I really don't see why maven has this convention that only plugins
hosted by Apache Maven can have names starting maven. Please consider -1
on behalf of GlassFish.

Thanks,
Sahoo

On Thursday 28 February 2013 02:56 AM, Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Now that we've got a 2.x version of bndlib in Maven Central (http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Cbiz.aQute%7Cbndlib%7C2.0.0.20130123-133441%7Cjar
- same level as shipped in bndtools 2) I'm looking to sort out a new release of the maven-bundle-plugin,
once I've gone through and triaged the pending issues in JIRA.

> I also figure that now might be the best time to "fix" the plugin name according to Maven
guidelines: http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-plugin-documentation.html - apparently
the name "maven-NNN-plugin" is supposed to be reserved for plugins hosted by Apache Maven,
while plugins hosted elsewhere should use names like "NNN-maven-plugin".

> So along with the upgrade to bndlib 2.x, I'm proposing to change the plugin name to:
>
> 	bnd-maven-plugin
>
> which both respects the Maven plugin naming convention, and recognises the bnd code which
is actually doing most of the work.