felix-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart McCulloch <mccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] contribute maven-bundle-plugin to Apache Maven
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:08:16 GMT
On 28 Feb 2013, at 17:55, Ferry Huberts wrote:
> On 28/02/13 18:29, Stuart McCulloch wrote:

>>> I don't understand this limitation. Why is it that an extension
>>> that supports bundle project type be generated from Maven project
>>> for maven to know about the extension by default? Surely it's a
>>> matter of them referencing our extension in some classpath
>>> configuration somewhere.
>>
>> It's up to the Maven team to decide on their default packaging types.
>> While there's no technical reason they couldn't refer to extensions
>> not under their control I'm not sure it will happen any time soon. I
>> should point out that contributing the plugin doesn't mean it would
>> automatically get added as a default packaging type, but it would
>> improve the odds - and development of the plugin might benefit from
>> being more aligned with the Maven team.
>
> How would it improve the odds?
> You'd just shift the dependency on external code from the plugin to bnd.
> And I seriously doubt that Peter would be willing to donate bnd to the Maven team.

I'm not stopping anyone from asking the Maven team to add 'bundle' as a default packaging
type, but I also doubt they would add a plugin that they neither develop or maintain.

Having a dependency from a core plugin to an external (Apache-licensed) library is likely
to be less of an issue, especially since Maven itself relies on various external libraries.

That said it sounds like people have strong opinions about any change of plugin coordinates,
so I'm just going to leave it for now.