felix-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Felix Site
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:47:03 GMT
Hi Marcel,

Am 13.12.2012 um 15:36 schrieb Marcel Offermans:

> Hey Felix,
> I did this a bit earlier in the year for the Apache ACE site, so I can definitely help
out a bit.

Cool. Thanks.

Actually, since the Sling site is very similar in setup to the Felix site, I hope to be able
to leverage the same tools that I used for the Sling site also for the Felix site.

After that any help is highly appreciated.

>> (1) We will get immediate site updates: Whenever we change one or more pages and
publish, the change will almost immediately be seen on the web. There is no multi-hour delay
and incertainty any longer
> Yes, this is a great advantage. Also, we can "stage" changes, and view them on a special
staging site before we publish them. All in all this is one of the biggest advantages I've
seen so far using the new approach.

>> When switching I think we should start with a double site: The new site available
directly through the URL at http://felix.apache.org and the old site still available at http://felix.apache.org/site.
This has nice advantage, that links from the web still work and we can crosscheck the new
pages against the old ones easily. Over time we will remove the old pages but add (static)
redirects to still support the old URLs but redirected to the new pages.
> So you propose that we make the new and old sites 100% identical as a first step, and
then replace the old site with a bunch of redirects, and then start discussing potential changes
and improvements to our site (layout and content wise)?

Yes, more or less: My idea is to have the old site still live while we also have the new site.
We can work on improving and fixing the new site while at the same validating it against the
old site.

View raw message