felix-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject [DS} major refactoring of dependency management
Date Sun, 16 Dec 2012 05:03:56 GMT
I've been working on fixing the numerous timing holes in ds dependency tracking and I think
I'm getting close to being willing to commit the results.

I've put what I have now up at github at https://github.com/djencks/felix.git in the service-tracker-3
branch.  If anyone is interested in taking a look that would be great.

There are two main parts to my refactoring:

1. use a copy of ServiceTracker modified for the requirements of DS.   Service tracker actually
tracks services properly and doesn't emit duplicate events, miss events, etc etc.  I don't
think its possible to track services properly in any simpler way.  Modifications are primarily:
-a- we need a new Added event after the service is put in the tracking map since we may want
to use the event as a trigger to try to activate the component, querying the service tracker
for matching services.  So the service better be in the map :-)
-b- Closing needs to happen in 2 steps in order to deal with filter changes.  The initial
close step needs to unregister the service listener and return the current state of the map.
 The second close step can clear the map.
-c- We need to expose the internal tracker for some locking.
-d- expose the tracking count.  This already was in the base tracker code but not used in
ServiceTracker.  we need it.  This is an event counter, not the number of tracked services.

2. For each component instance, keep track of the initial tracking count when we query for
existing services and the final tracking count when we unbind services.  Then we can ignore,
for a given instance, events that are "before" (have a lower tracking count than) the open
and "after" (have a higher tracking count than) the close thus avoiding duplicate and missing
bind and unbinds.

I also put the different multiplicity/dynamic styles of reference in separate customizer classes
which I think simplifies the logic.

There are a few other bug fixes in there too:

FELIX-3729
[DS] Track dependencies by imitating ServiceTracker and keeping a list of actual service references
all the time      (this is most of the work)

FELIX-3738
[DS] ComponentInstance.getServices(String refName) is implemented wrong for 0..1 and 1..1
refs

FELIX-3825
[DS] make logging more useful by including component ID when known

As a side effect, a lot more of the circular reference situations are getting resolved.  I'm
not entirely sure why, but I'm not objecting.

There are a lot (?) of unused parts of service tracker.  So far I've made minimal modifications
to the copied osgi code in the interests of maintainability in case the osgi code changes,
but I could easily be talked into removing the stuff we don't use.

thanks
david jencks