felix-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [WebConsole] Categories for plugins
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:45:28 GMT
Hi,

Am 16.11.2012 um 14:37 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:

> 2012/11/16 Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 16.11.2012 um 10:50 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> sounds good to me - can we apply a similar approach to the
>>> configuration printers? It's currently a pain to get to the
>>> information of a printer which is not in the first set displayed.
>>
>> How about integrating configuration printers differently than today ?
>>
>> Today, we have the "Configuration Status" plugin which manages the printers.
>>
>> How about changing this like this: ConfigurationPrinter services with mode=web are
internally registered as plugins with the category "Configuration Status" by wrapping in a
ProxyPlugin similar to what we do for plugin services to support delayed loading. The ConfigurationPrinter
plugin itself would just care for the TXT and ZIP download cases.

> Sounds like a good idea, could printers override the category by
> setting this property itself?

Hmm, why not ?

Regards
Felix

> Carsten
>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> Regards
>> Felix
>>

>>> Regards
>>> Carsten

system administration functionality. Each added plugin adds a button to the top navigation
which leads to clutter once the number of plugins (buttons) grow. For example the current
Apache Sling Launchpad setup of the Web Console has 21 plugins and our commercial application
even has 31 buttons (with a growing tendency).

links to the plugins. As for GUI we replace the current button list at the top of the display
with a tree navigation to the left. The categories are the nodes of the tree and the plugins
are the leafs of the tree.

indicating the category. Plugins not registering this property will be placed in the default
category
may overwritten by implementations. The default implementation in the AbstractWebConsolePlugin
class returns the default category
"Sling/Main". Relative paths define multi-level trees. I think in general a single level is
probably enough. Maybe we can start with just supporting a single level (so just plain strings).
complete string if there is no sub-categories) is converted into a translation label by prefixing
with "category.". So the translation for the "OSGi" category would be found with the translation
string "category.OSGi".
as a tree structure (I assume we can use the JQuery treetable plugin).