felix-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [DS] Feedback wanted on some ideas
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2012 18:48:41 GMT

Am 03.10.2012 um 19:39 schrieb Andrei Pozolotin:

> great ideas; one more for your consideration
> http://www.osgi.org/javadoc/r4v41/org/osgi/service/component/ComponentContext.html#enableComponent(java.lang.String)
> <http://www.osgi.org/javadoc/r4v41/org/osgi/service/component/ComponentContext.html#enableComponent%28java.lang.String%29>
> """
> public void *enableComponent*(java.lang.String name)
>    Enables the specified component name. The specified component name
>    must be in the same bundle as this component.
> """
> instead, I suggest to permit traversal of bundle boundaries, so
> enable/disable target can be anywhere.

No. This would open security doors/holes.

And as David indicates: The ScrService as well as the upcoming spec will allow for administrative
enablement and disablement accross bundle boundaries (and the spec will include security considerations).

would like some feedback about how desirable they are before committing or proceeding with
>> 1.  (FELIX-3692)  If you manually enable/disable components some of the work gets
done asynchronously.  I propose an api for finding out whether this work is done or waiting
for it, something like
>>   boolean tasksCompleted();
>>   void waitForTasksCompleted();
>> on ScrService.   (suggestions for better names welcome :-)  One use would be in our
tests to replace the delay() call.
>> 2.  (FELIX-3557) There are several circumstances in which, as the spec warns, you
can't establish a circular dependency between components.  In some of these cases, the order
in which the components are activated determines whether all the references are established.
 This is hard to understand from a users point of view :-).  Sometimes it's possible to detect
these situations and establish the reference asynchronously.  The patch attached to the issue
does this but needs a little more work to only try with services from DS components.
>> For these two, I'm wondering if they would be useful enough to propose for the DS
1.3 spec.
>> 3. (re-proposal)  I'd like to propose moving the implementation to java 5 again with
generics etc.  The last time I suggested this there was a lot of pushback on the grounds that
there are a lot of people using DS on limited platforms.  However, none of these alleged :-)
people is using trunk, because for several months the classes pulled from the concurrent library
were wrong and trunk just didn't run on pre-java-5 vms.  Are the compendium 4.3 spec classes
we pull in even compatible with pre-java-5 vms?
>> 4.  (radical idea I haven't tried yet)  I'm becoming increasingly convinced that
the state objects in AbstractComponentManager mostly cause confusion and make the code more
complicated and less reliable.  The spec really only describes two states, enabled and disabled.
 The variations on enabled -- whether the component has all its dependencies satisfied, whether
the service is registered, whether there are any implementation objects created -- all seem
somewhat orthogonal and depend very much on the environment  and don't seem to relate well
to a single "dimension" of state.  I'm considering trying to refactor the code that responds
to outside actions (activate/deactivate and dependencies appearing/disappearing) to be more
"straight-through" with checks on the specific aspects of state that they need.  Possibly
we would want to put the "dynamic state" such as dependencies + instances in a single state
object, but this is a different approach to the current state objects which have no internal
>> thanks
>> david jencks

View raw message