felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Fwd: [osgi-blog] [OSGi Alliance Blog] 4.3 Companion Code for Java 7
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 08:03:56 GMT
FYI,

the 4.3.1 artifacts have not yet been deployed on Central.

Regards
JB

On 10/29/2012 09:00 AM, Felix Meschberger wrote:
> FYI in case you missed it.
>
> In short: The OSGi R 4.3 libraries have been recompiled with Java 5 target and republished
as version 4.3.1 to maven. So to use OSGi R 4.3 libraries in a Java 5 (and up) environment
you should use the 4.3.1 version dependency.

> Nothing to be done when using older (4.2.0 and before) dependencies because they are
compiled for Java 1.4.

> Regards
> Felix
>
> Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:
>
> Von: BJ Hargrave <bj@bjhargrave.com<mailto:bj@bjhargrave.com>>
> Betreff: [osgi-blog] [OSGi Alliance Blog] 4.3 Companion Code for Java 7
> Datum: 26. Oktober 2012 21:06:11 MESZ
> An: "osgi-blog@mail.osgi.org<mailto:osgi-blog@mail.osgi.org>" <osgi-blog@mail.osgi.org<mailto:osgi-blog@mail.osgi.org>>
> Antwort an: Private list for OSGi blog discussion <osgi-blog@mail.osgi.org<mailto:osgi-blog@mail.osgi.org>>
>
> Starting in version 4.3, OSGi started to use generics in some of the API including the
Core specification. Generics were introduced<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generics_in_Java>
to the Java language in Java 5. However, OSGi needed to continue to support embedded use cases
which use the CDC/Foundation 1.1 runtime which is still based upon the Java 1.4 language level
and JVM. To address this issue, OSGi compiled the APIs with -target jsr14<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp02277/index.html>;
an undocumented javac flag introduced before Java 5 was final. So we had the best of both
worlds: we can use generics and still compile to run on Java 1.4 based runtimes.

> This worked for Java 5 and Java 6. But when Java 7 shipped, two things changed: javac
no longer understood the jsr14 option to -target and javac refused to recognize the attributes
containing the generics information in class files already compiled with -target jsr14. The
change to no longer support creating -target jsr14 class files was ok; we could continue to
compile with Java 6 javac. But the change to the javac to cease to recognize the class file
attributes with the generics information in existing class files was a bigger problem. It
meant that the 4.3 API jars published by OSGi were not useable by people who need to compile
with Java 7 javac. By not useable, I mean javac treated the classes as if they did not contain
any generics information: they were raw. A bug<http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7078419>
was filed against Java to see if this was some mistake or oversight. The reply was that the
change was intentional.

> At the time this was first noticed<https://mail.osgi.org/pipermail/osgi-dev/2011-August/003223.html>,
Java 7 was new and not too widely used. OSGi also included the source code in the jars so
you could recompile the code yourself if you needed. Later, when it came time to ship Core
R5, we changed to compile the API classes with -target 1.5 and so they work fine on Java 7.
So problem solved; the new release's jars don't use -target jsr14! Except some of the current
OSGi implementations (I'm looking at you Felix<https://felix.apache.org/> and Karaf<https://karaf.apache.org/>)
are still based upon Core 4.3 and thus people using those implementations still need to use
the Core 4.3 API. And if they also want to use Java 7, they need to recompile the OSGi API
source. So after some prodding by a few folks, OSGi rebuilt the Core and Compendium API jars
as Core 4.3.1<http://www.osgi.org/Download/File?url=/download/r4v43/osgi.core-4.3.1.jar>
and Compendium 4.3.1<http://www.osgi.org/Download/F
ile?url=/download/r4v43/osgi.cmpn-4.3.1.jar>. The new jars have the same packages at the
same package versions having the same API signatures. They are just not compiled with -target
jsr14 so they work fine with Java 7.

also be available on maven<http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.osgi> shortly.