felix-dev mailing list archives

From Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DS] Feedback wanted on some ideas
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 17:44:42 GMT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [DS] Feedback wanted on some ideas
From: David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com>
To: dev@felix.apache.org
Date: Wed 03 Oct 2012 12:28:49 PM CDT
> 4.  (radical idea I haven't tried yet)  I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the
state objects in AbstractComponentManager mostly cause confusion and make the code more complicated
and less reliable.  The spec really only describes two states, enabled and disabled.  The
variations on enabled -- whether the component has all its dependencies satisfied, whether
the service is registered, whether there are any implementation objects created -- all seem
somewhat orthogonal and depend very much on the environment  and don't seem to relate well
to a single "dimension" of state.  I'm considering trying to refactor the code that responds
to outside actions (activate/deactivate and dependencies appearing/disappearing) to be more
"straight-through" with checks on the specific aspects of state that they need.  Possibly
we would want to put the "dynamic state" such as dependencies + instances in a single state
object, but this is a different approach to the current state objects which have no internal
yes, as a dumb user :-) I have hard time understanding both old and new
state transitions.
would it be possible to produce proposed scr state diagram in a form
similar to this: