felix-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Provide an option to persist a config to a file in e.g. etc
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:55:32 GMT
Hi,

Am 17.09.2012 um 13:46 schrieb Christian Schneider:

> Actually I am not exactly sure where which behaviour is implemented. I
> will dig into it though.
>
> What I can see from the outside when using felix fileinstall and config
> admin service together is the following:
>
> - If I have config in etc which is monitored by fileinstall then each
> .cfg file causes a config pid to be created. It also monitors for
> changes and reflects them in the config pids. (This is probably all done
> by fileinstall)

correct

> - When I change a config pid with config admin service there are two cases:
>  1. The config originated in a file from etc. In this case changes are
> persisted back to the original file (I think this happens additional to
> the internal persistence of config admin service)

correct because File Install adds a property indicating the original file from where the configuration
was created.

>  2. The config was created in config admin service. In this case no
> additional write happens

Since Fileinstall does not know this configuration and does not have the file name property
it probably just ignores it.

> So it is very well possible that the implementation of the "etc"
> peristence came from fileinstall.

yes.

> So about the creation of new files for existing pids:
> I understand that doing this in config admin service directly may not be
> the right place. So perhaps this is a theme for fileinstall? I know that
> we could also do the initial creation in the karaf code but then we have
> another place where we fiddle with persistence. This is why I ask this
> here.
> I think the creation of new files should be done in the same module that
> currently implements the write to the etc files.

I would think file install might pick up new config from config admin and write it back.

Remember, though: The canonical source for configuration is always Configuration Admin. The
on-filesystem copy that Fileinstall manages is just an administrator's helper.

Regards
Felix