felix-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Provide an option to persist a config to a file in e.g. etc
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:46:12 GMT
Actually I am not exactly sure where which behaviour is implemented. I
will dig into it though.

What I can see from the outside when using felix fileinstall and config
admin service together is the following:

- If I have config in etc which is monitored by fileinstall then each
.cfg file causes a config pid to be created. It also monitors for
changes and reflects them in the config pids. (This is probably all done
by fileinstall)
- When I change a config pid with config admin service there are two cases:
  1. The config originated in a file from etc. In this case changes are
persisted back to the original file (I think this happens additional to
the internal persistence of config admin service)
  2. The config was created in config admin service. In this case no
additional write happens
So it is very well possible that the implementation of the "etc"
peristence came from fileinstall.

So about the creation of new files for existing pids:
I understand that doing this in config admin service directly may not be
the right place. So perhaps this is a theme for fileinstall? I know that
we could also do the initial creation in the karaf code but then we have
another place where we fiddle with persistence. This is why I ask this
here.
I think the creation of new files should be done in the same module that
currently implements the write to the etc files.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de