felix-dev mailing list archives

From Bram de Kruijff <bdekrui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configuration Admin 1.2.x?
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:07:15 GMT

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Am 20.03.2012 um 21:47 schrieb Marcel Offermans:
>> Within a different open source project (Amdatu), we recently ran into some race conditions
in Configuration Admin 1.2.8 that since have been fixed in trunk (see FELIX-2813). However,
the next scheduled release will be one that requires a still unreleased and new version of
the OSGi specification, which makes it more difficult for people to use right now and in the
immediate future (I guess a lot of us will want to stay R4.x compatible for some time).
> AFAICT the new spec is backwards compatible. As long as you don't use new functionality,
nothing changes.

Probably true. The reason we went for the backport instead of using
the snapshot (besides maven release constraints) is that it, for
obvious reasons, does an import for org.osgi.services.cm;version=1.4
and thus can't be used with cpmn 4.2.0 without tweaking.

> But yes, as long as the spec has not been published I cannot start cutting a release
(and the next update is just around the corner ;-) )
>> Therefore, my question is, would there be more interest in backporting such patches
to an 1.2.x branch, and doing a new release?
>> Right now, we applied such patches and made a release within Amdatu for ourselves
[1], but we would like to donate these patches back to Felix and make an official release
here (if enough people care). WDYT?
> I would be ok with that.
> What release version are you thinking of ?

Sofar, we only backported FELIX-2813 which is a simple bugfix so I
think 1.2.9 would be appropriate. Further cherry picking might warrant
a 1.3.0. Haven't done a full analysis yet, but would be happy to have
a closer look at the changelog.

View raw message