felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Improving documentation and SimpleShape examples
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 18:30:22 GMT
On Mar 5, 2012, at 18:12 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:

>> One of first things I came across are the int constants in org.apache.felix.example.servicebased.host.ShapeTracker.
If Java 5 features are allowed, I would replace that by an enum.

>> What do you think?
>
> Technically, I'm not against it, but this is one of the tradeoffs, since OSGi was designed
to work for embedded devices, it meant being stuck on the older/smaller JVMs. So, using these
features immediately limits the applicability of examples for people in this area. However,
at this point, I'm not sure how many people are really using it in this area anymore, so it
may or may not matter.

Because this example uses Swing anyway, I don't see a big downside in this case. There are
not that many embedded devices that support Swing, but not Java 5, at least that I know of.

One additional suggestion would be to have an HTML5+JS version of this example, which is much
easier to demo in modern web environments.

Greetings, Marcel