felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Improving documentation and SimpleShape examples
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 17:12:21 GMT
On 3/5/12 11:47 , Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> I've just looked through the documentation on http://felix.apache.org
> and I would like to help improving it. In particular I'm talking about
> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-application-demonstration.html.
> The header of the page says, that "this document is work in progress"
> but judging from the fooder, there hasn't been an update for more than
> 4 years now.

Slow progress. ;-)

> What I have in mind is to include a Prerequisites section, that gives
> some background to svn and maven (what is it, where can I get it), as
> well as references to the more basic examples
> (http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-framework-usage-documentation.html).
> Beside that I would like to give some more explanation on what the
> code is actually doing (right now it just says "Examine the source
> code to understand the details of the approach. In the future this
> documentation will hopefully be expanded to described more details." ;)

Sounds reasonable.

> Also, I'd like to improve the source code of the example itself. From
> what I've seen, I assume, that the example is not using Java 5
> features ATM. The target value for the maven compiler plugin in the
> parent POM is 1.3. Is it true, that the complete felix distribution is
> targeted at Java 1.3?!

The framework certainly does and most other subprojects do too, but it
is a case-by-case basis. For example, Gogo does not.

> One of first things I came across are the int constants in
> org.apache.felix.example.servicebased.host.ShapeTracker. If Java 5
> features are allowed, I would replace that by an enum.
> What do you think?

Technically, I'm not against it, but this is one of the tradeoffs, since
OSGi was designed to work for embedded devices, it meant being stuck on
the older/smaller JVMs. So, using these features immediately limits the
applicability of examples for people in this area. However, at this
point, I'm not sure how many people are really using it in this area
anymore, so it may or may not matter.

Regardless, documentation improvement is probably better than
stagnation. So, I'd probably be fine with it.

Have you submitted an ICLA to Apache previously for any previous
contributions? If not, it would probably be a good idea. Then you just
need to create an account in Confluence (although we have to move to a
new CMS soon, btu hopefully that will be somewhat painless) so we can
give you karma.

-> richard

> Regards,
> Benedikt