felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: [WebConsole] Dropping 1.4 builds ?
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 18:10:36 GMT
On 1/4/12 13:06 , Marcel Offermans wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2012, at 15:13 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:
because it probably makes sense to align our decision with theirs.
>>> They will create two builds. This would be my option (c).
>> I don't think that has been decided.
>>
>>  From my understanding (and preference), they will maintain 1.4 source compatibility
by compiling against foundation, but target Java 5 in binary. With this approach, the majority
of people using modern JVMs will be able to use the produced artifacts "as is", while people
running on 1.4 will need to recompile. You could do something similar.
> Then the question remains: do we provide more than one artifact, or do we tell everybody
that still wants 1.4 compatibility to "compile it themselves"?

Well, our binaries are only for convenience, right? We release source.

I would think that most people with special requirements (e.g., embedded
scenarios) are used to having to roll their own, so asking them to
recompile is not a major deal. We have limited resources, so we are
better off directing that effort at the majority of our users.

However, in the end, it doesn't really matter to me. I don't think that
one way is clearly better than the other, I just think that producing a
single artifact is less effort on our part, so that's the way I'd go.

-> richard